Monday 24 March 2014

Green Inspiration #6

We recently got back from a month in India - a beautiful, magical country with sights, sounds and smells like no other. To say it was sensory overload would be an understatement.

An easy way to get around in cities in India is via rickshaw, but the more we travelled on crowded and chaotic roads in these open vehicles, the more I realised that those of us who live in Western, developed countries have a greater responsibility to do what we can to help the environment.



Two weeks into the trip, and both my husband and I developed respiratory issues, primarily due to the levels of pollution. The rickshaws and other vehicles are old, often produce dark fumes and likely do not meet the standardized emmission levels that we have in Europe and North America. The experience made me feel priviliged to live in a country where we take clean air for granted, and it also made me realise that I need to do more to reduce the amount of waste and pollution that I create, day to day.

Al Gore was the first person to inspire me to make small changes every day, and from his website, here is a list of little things that can make a big difference.

We only have one world and what we do affects everyone on it ... let's take care of our planet by making the small things count.

No comments:

Post a Comment