Thursday 20 March 2014

Book Review: It's All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow

Despite seeing some negative reviews, I had high hopes when I purchased Gwyneth's latest cookbook, and I have to say, I was not disappointed. In fact, for a period of time, her book replaced my favourite food blog (My New Roots) as my mealtime go-to. There are a great selection of recipes in the book - broken down into categories such as "Morning Time", "Salads", "Soups", "Fish", "Meat", etc...- and they are generally really easy to make with minimal "weird" ingredients required (side note- ever tried to make an amazing looking recipe, only to find out that before you can, you have to go to five different specialty stores and three different websites to get all the required ingredients? Who has time for that?!?).



The book has a great intro about the reasons behind the recipes, and a detailed explanation of pantry staples. Similarly helpful are the icons at the top of each page which indicate if the recipe is vegan, gluten-free, protein packed or can be used as part of an "elimination diet". I've tried quite a lot of the recipes, and, apart from one or two items, all were a colossal success. The recipes were easy, didn't take much time, tasted great, and were healthy too! Now frequently in my recipe rotation are Gwyneth's Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Chipotle and Coriander (which went down really well with a number of extended family members); Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpeas with Mustard and Parsley (one of the easiest and tastiest dishes and can be eaten on it's own or as a side dish); Mango & Avacado Salad with Balsamic-Lime Vinaigrette - a perfect dish to bring to a picnic; Roasted Leeks - a great way to reinvent the humble leek; Stir-Fried Brown Rice with Nori and Black Sesame - a wonderful way to use up left-over rice (try not to eat the whole dish - it serves 4, after all!). And for desserts/snacks, my friends and family have been really impressed with the Almond Butter Cookies with Maldon Salt (expensive due to the amount of maple syrup and almond butter needed, but worth every penny - consider making a half-batch and eating less ... good luck!), and the Banana "Ice Cream" with Sweet-and-Salty Roasted Almonds. The book also inspired me to make my own almond milk, which was surprisingly easy and fun (coming soon in another blog post)!



For me, most of the recipes use items that I have on hand already (Sweet and Salty Roasted Almonds only use 3 ingredients and can be made in about 10 minutes, perfect for elevating a humble bowl of yogurt or ice-cream into something a little more gourmet), and they do not require a lot of time in the kitchen (Gwenyth is a busy lady, after all!). Last night I made the Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpeas with Mustard and Parsley, and the preparation time was all of about 15 minutes. While the cauliflower and chickpeas roasted, I had time to do some odds and ends around the house, so I felt organised and relaxed when we sat down to eat.



The only recipes that have not impressed have been Broccoli and Arugula (Rocket) Soup (the cruciferous vegetable flavour overpowered the dish and there weren't enough other flavours to balance it out for me - it IS on the elimination diet, however), and the Bummer Bars (for me they had a weird undertaste, possibly from the quinoa flakes, and I didn't love the texture).

However, the book is packed full of recipes, so there is something to suit everyone's taste (meat-eaters, veggies, vegans, celiacs and kids). There is a huge selection so you'll have foodie inspiration for a good long while, and the photos are beautiful and inspiring too (not just food pics, but Gwyneth picking veggies and drinking green juice ... tell me you're not inspired to be healthier, just thinking of that image?!?)

The book is great for anyone who likes good food, clean eating, and who doesn't want to spend their entire day standing in the kitchen or sourcing ingredients. The recipes are enjoyable and make you feel good - eating healthy without deprivation - just delicious, clean food. I highly recommend adding it to your cookbook shelf, getting busy in the kitchen, and watching your friends and family lap up these meals.

GG Rating - Good for Spelt Supporters as the recipes are easy and the food delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment